Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why 'Just Do It"

I suppose that I should credit Nike for helping to turn these three words into an iconic phrase.  I always loved that ad campaign especially the one with the woman who wakes up to a buzzing alarm on a cold grey morning and sits on the side of the bed.  The next time you see her she is running through puddles on a city street.  All that is said is "Just Do It".  The temptation to get back to sleep in a nice cozy bed must have been great but she doesn't. 

At work people would joke that I was the "Just Do It" girl as I would get frustrated with the sometimes endless committees put in place to try to decide whether or not to proceed with a project.  I can agree that gathering data and looking at variables is valuable but at some point you just have to go for it. 

It took me months to get around to starting a blog.  The stumbling block for me was what to call it.  I wanted something clever and positive and not focused on me alone.  I would like it if all women could relate on some level to this blog. 

So - "Judy Ju Jube" wouldn't work and "Cup of JO" (my initials) was taken.  My husband  thought up "Judyisms" which I loved.  It had the clever component that I was looking for but it was personal in that my name was in it.  It would have been event better if I was Jewish.  I thought of "Blob Blog" as that is how I was feeling for awhile but it is definitely not positive. 

I kept saying to myself "Come on Jude, Just do it" and so it seemed that should be the name.  I like the phrase.  That is really what we should be about.  Instead of thinking abaout drawing or scrapbooking or whatever you should just take a deep breath and "Just dot it".  You very likely won't regret it, whatever 'it' is, but you might not feel so good about spending 5 hours in front of the TV every evening.  The trick is getting past that lazy fog that lives in most of our heads.  " Just do it". 

Well we can have good intentions can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment